Traveling to Kenya with kids can be a magical and memorable experience! Make sure to plan ahead and keep these tips in mind to ensure that you have the best time possible in this beautiful African nation.
1. Pack well – It’s important to know what you will need for your trip, especially when going with kids. Make sure to include items like sunscreen, insect repellent, hats, and good walking shoes.
2. Book with experts – Having a local guide who knows the terrain and customs is invaluable when traveling anywhere with kids, especially somewhere as vast as Kenya. Get suggestions on the best tour guides in your area by checking out travel groups on Facebook!
3. Stay safe – Kenya is actually the place where my family and I have felt safest. Of course, when it comes to being out and about, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings at all times. If you’re taking a car ride through the city, remember to keep your phone close and visible – theft can happen if you don’t stay alert! Finally, avoid public transportation and use apps like Uber and Bolt instead.
4. Get ready for an adventure – Whether it’s searching for wild animals on safari or swimming at the beach on the Indian Ocean coast, there are plenty of exciting activities that your kids will love during your time in Kenya!
5. Savor traditional Kenyan dishes – Trying out some of the local cuisine is part of any great overseas experience and Kenya has lots of delicious treats that your family can enjoy together such as chapati, nyama choma (barbequed meats), ugali (a type of maize-based flour dish) and more!
6. Capture memories – Last but not least, don’t forget to take lots of photos and videos so you can look back fondly on this amazing family trip for years afterwards! You may want to consider hiring a professional photographer or videographer.
Pro-Tip: Before you go, make sure to do your research to find a reliable local company to assist with booking accommodations or use trusted sites like AirBNB. Always be sure to negotiate the price, and consider accommodations with multiple bedrooms that provide extra amenities like private chefs and housekeeping services – this can make the trip much easier for you and your children. Additionally, certain activities such as visiting the Elephant Orphanage or Giraffe Manor require advanced bookings – don’t forget to plan ahead!