Going on a safari with kids can be a thrilling and unforgettable experience! With careful planning and some simple tips, you’ll be ready to make the most of your trip to the beautiful Masai Mara National Reserve. Here are some prime suggestions for creating memories to last a lifetime:
1. Pick the right game drive – There are tours that cater to families, with experienced guides who know how to keep everyone safe while providing amazing animal sightings. I highly suggesting taking an nighttime drive as well. The animals tend to be more active at night or early morning hours.
2. Pack well – A sturdy pair of walking shoes is a must-have as well as plenty of water, sunscreen, insect repellent and a portable potty. Having a portable potty on hand when you’re out in the wild can be a lifesaver when your little one suddenly needs to use the restroom – trust us!
3. Find out about important conservation efforts – You can help your family understand the importance of respecting natural habitats by learning about the various initiatives in place around the park such as anti-poaching operations, conservation efforts, etc.
4. Embrace downtime – Make sure you have time built into your daily schedule for rest stops and games – this will help keep everyone energized throughout the day!
5. Get up close and personal – If possible, book a private safari or visit an animal orphanage where you can get even closer to animals like giraffes, zebras and elephants! Your children will never forget these moments.
6. Capture memories – Last but not least, make sure to take lots of photos and videos – these will be great reminders of this amazing adventure long after it’s over!
Pro-Tip: On the way to your safari, consider driving to Massai Mara. The route is scenic and, for the most part, paved. However, if you want a hassle-free travel experience, take a flight back to Nairobi or wherever you’re headed next – it’ll only take an hour, and it’s better than having to endure a long drive back with exhausted kids in tow!